As one of the founding partners of the West Michigan Internship Initiative, Hello West Michigan focuses the initiative on connecting employers, educational institutions, and workforce development, while providing employers with the resources necessary to build a successful internship program. There are several tools and initiatives aimed at connecting interns to employers, but it is imperative that the right structure is in place to make that connection a success.
The West Michigan Internship Initiative has two primary components:
Designed to provide resources for employers to assist with developing and/or enhancing an internship program. The toolkit includes information and templates that will assist with creating and managing internships.
The purpose of this toolkit is to:
- Cover the 5 steps essential to structuring a successful internship program.
- Outline each step in detail.
- Provide templates, resources and information to assist with structuring an internship program.
- Provide best practices for each step.
2. Employer Internship Training Sessions (EITS)
If the 50+ page toolkit above seems daunting, attend a free training session where we’ll break it down. In addition to a step-by-step walk through from our Executive Director, Cindy Brown, sessions include representatives from college career services and an employer with a successful internship program.
At each session, presenters cover, at a minimum, the following items:
- Employer benefits for having an internship program.
- How to connect with education, workforce development and talent.
- Things to consider before beginning an internship program.
- How to address cultural and generational differences between incumbent workers and interns.
- The five steps essential to structuring an internship program.
- Best practices and frequently asked questions.
- Additional resources such as career fairs, online tools and networking groups.
2018 – 2019 Training Session Dates
- August 8 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. at Hope College
- September 18 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. at Grand Valley State University
- October 23 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. at Davenport University
- November 7 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. at Aquinas College
- January 8 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. at Calvin College
- February 12 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. at Muskegon Community College
- March 13 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. at Cornerstone University
- April 9 8:30 – 10:30 a.m. at Davenport University
- May 8 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. at Grand Valley State University